The first ever World Constructors' Championship for the Silver Arrows, the most successful Formula One campaign to date for Mercedes-Benz power, a record breaking season in a historic year for the sport - the story of 2014 has been, quite simply, epic! And it's not over yet...
Here, we've thrown together a collection of fascinating facts about the road to the 2014 World Constructors' Championship crown - plus a dash of good ol' fashioned stat-based geekery. Enjoy!
The Silver Arrows
- 2014 marks the very first Formula One World Constructors’ Championship title for the Silver Arrows! When we first took on the challenge of Formula One 60 years ago, that accolade hadn’t even been introduced yet!
- You might think we kicked things off a matter of months ago in Jerez - but this title has actually been three years, three months, 12 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 50 seconds in the making (oh, and 744 thousandths – this is Formula One after all!)*
- Or, in other words, 171 weeks / 1,200 days / 28,817 hours / 1,729,051 minutes / 103,743,110 seconds!*
- The Silver arrows have lead 91% of all racing laps en route to the title – with Mercedes-Benz power leading 94%!
- The race team crew have performed 62 live race pit stops along the way, with literally thousands more practice stops undertaken throughout the season already! That’s teamwork!
*Figures rounded down to the nearest whole number from when the 2014 regulations were publically announced at 20:00 BST on 29 June 2011 :)
- 2014 has alread been the most successful season of all time for Mercedes-Benz power in Formula One! A World Constructors' Championship title clinched with more wins (13), podiums (35), pole positions (16) and fastest laps (14) along the way than ever before! Well done Brixworth!
- The mighty Mercedes-Benz PU106A Hybrid Power Unit has powered the Silver Arrows through more than 6,000 laps and 30,000 km en route to the title – starting way back at that very first test in Jerez!
- As the crown is lifted, 65% of all available World Championship points have been scored by Mercedes-Benz power – unbelievable!
Our Formula One History In Numbers
The Silver Arrows
|Year||Car||Starts||Wins||Podiums||Poles||Fastest Laps||1-2 Finishes|
|1954||W 196 R||6||4||7||4||4||1|
|1955||W 196 R||6||5||10||4||5||4|
|Year||Starts||Wins||Podiums||Poles||Fastest Laps||1-2 Finishes|
Figures accurate as of the 2014 Russian Grand Prix.