Split shift for Nico and Lewis on day two at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Date: Friday 20 February 2015
Circuit: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Driver: Nico Rosberg / Lewis Hamilton
No of Laps: 155 (Nico Rosberg 66 /Lewis Hamilton 89)
Circuit Length: 4.655 km
Kms Covered: 722
Best Lap Time: 1:25.556 (Nico Rosberg) / 1:24.923 (Lewis Hamilton)
Weather: Clear, dry, high temp 12°c
MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS continued the second test of the 2015 season today at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, with Nico Rosberg at the wheel of the F1 W06 Hybrid in the morning and Lewis Hamilton taking over driving duties in the afternoon.
- Today’s schedule consisted of aero and setup evaluation work in the morning, followed by race simulation runs in the afternoon
- Nico emerged for his first run at precisely 09:00 CET, completing 66 laps in the morning
- While Nico did not report any issues with his back, he opted to sit out afternoon running as a precautionary measure to ensure 100% fitness for Sunday’s session
- Lewis took over duties at the wheel of the F1 W06 Hybrid shortly after the lunch break, completing a total of 89 laps to bring the day’s total to 155
- Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 2,053 km
- Lewis is scheduled to take the wheel of the F1 W06 Hybrid tomorrow for the third day of the test
- Fact of the day: The top five best times from today's running would have been good enough for pole position at the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix
My back has been a bit of an issue but I know what it was. My position in the car was not quite right but I’ve been lucky with it really and it should be fine for a full day on Sunday. I’m just being a bit cautious and decided to get out of the car at lunch today. It’s a different circuit with this new car so it felt a bit different, but in general it was ok. I wasn’t so happy with the car this morning but then we found our way quickly with the setup and in the end it felt pretty good. At the moment we’re just focusing on getting the miles done and working on setup. Of course, I want to go out and do qualifying laps all the time – but there’s a right time for everything. We don’t know where we are yet but things are going to plan. The development curve is still very steep. There’s so much still to discover with these regulations in both the car and the Power Unit, so it’s a big challenge. Overall, though, it’s been a good start.
I’ve felt better but I miss driving so I wanted to get in the car. It’s been good today to get out there and get some laps in. I’m not sure where we stand compared to the others. The first test was just about completing loads of laps and today was the same, so I’ve not really started dialing the car into how I’d like to perfect it. Quick laps are for Saturday in qualifying. But it feels good – similar to last year but better. We’re just focused on our own job – getting lots and lots of miles on the car, proving everything out and making the most of the time we have before the season starts. We’ve not been without a few problems here and there but I’ve seen the team working away to iron out any creases and it’s just amazing to watch. As long as we keep moving forwards that’s what matters most and we’re focused on doing that.
|1||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull||143||1:24.574|
|4||Sergio Perez||Force India||121||1:24.702|
|5||Lewis Hamilton||MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS||89||1:24.923|
|6||Nico Rosberg||MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS||66||1:25.556|
|10||Carlos Sainz||Toro Rosso||100||1:28.945|