Michael Schumacher was in action for the MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team today for the second and final day of the Pirelli tyre test at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.
Michael continued the programme begun by team-mate Nico Rosberg yesterday and revisited many of the set-up evaluations to further improve the team's understanding of the new tyres. Michael covered 74 laps over the day.
Michael Schumacher: "Today was my first day of testing for 2011 and I feel that we had an interesting session. We gathered a lot of data and insights, and have positive feedback from our first impression of the new tyres. I am probably the only driver to have driven with Pirelli tyres before but it was 20 years ago and I didn't have any certain expectations before today. In terms of consistency, it looked quite good but we were using the 2010 car today and it will be all about how these tyres suit our 2011 car. I am already curious to try it out but at the same time I am looking forward to having a break now. I am sure the guys are too and they clearly deserve it. I would like to thank all of them for the good job they have done over the season and I have massively enjoyed working with them."
Ross Brawn: "Michael and Nico have now completed their first days in the car on Pirelli tyres and both have been impressed. This week's test has been very productive for us and comes at a time when we can use the information gathered here to fine-tune the detail of our 2011 car and optimise the areas which we believe will be critical. Pirelli have done an excellent job to get these tyres to where they are now after such a short period of time and we are looking forward to working closely with them through the winter test programme at the start of next year."
TIMES (All timings are unofficial)
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:40.529 (105)
2. Michael Schumacher MERCEDES GP PETRONAS 1:40.685 (74)
3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1:40.825 (66)
4. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1:41.294 (100)
5. Robert Kubica Renault 1:41.614 (91)
6. Gary Paffett McLaren 1:41.622 (46)
7. Oliver Turvey McLaren 1:41.740 (30)
8. Paul di Resta Force India 1:41.869 (35)
9. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1:42.110 (43)
10. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso 1:42.145 (97)
11. Tonio Liuzzi Force India 1:42.416 (46)
12. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:42.777 (46)
13. Jarno Trulli Lotus 1:44.521 (83)
14. Pastor Maldonado HRT 1:44.768 (65)
15. Timo Glock Virgin 1:44.783 (82)