MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS concluded the final test of 2014 at the Yas Marina Circuit today, with Pascal Wehrlein taking the wheel of the F1 W05 Hybrid for the second of two days’ running this week. Pascal’s best time of 1:42.624 from 96 laps put him top of the time sheets.
- Today’s programme focussed on aero testing, 2015 Pirelli tyres, system checks and set-up work
- The team was also able to test some new parts for the 2015 regulations
- Pirelli’s new supersoft, soft and medium compound dry tyres were all tested during the day’s running
- Pascal emerged for his first run at 09:00 local time, with his car running problem free all day
- He did a great job on his first day of track activity in the W05 Hybrid, making a good transition from his simulator work
- Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 1,488 km between all teams
I really enjoyed today; it was a great day. The first time in this car and the second time in a Formula One car; I had a lot of fun. We completed our planned test programme and there were no problems. The change between a DTM car and a Formula One car is a big difference, so this was the biggest challenge today, particularly with the brakes. It’s a fantastic racing car; it’s good to see myself quickest but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter as everyone has a different test programme. The important thing was that I was able to improve a lot during the day and complete the full test programme. I’ve been in the simulator since the beginning of the year and I enjoy the work there, so I hope to continue that in 2015 to be able to learn even more. This test will certainly help with the feedback there too.