Pascal tops the time sheets on rain-hit opening day in Spielberg
MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS kicked off the final in-season test of the 2015 season today in Austria, with Pascal Wehrlein at the wheel of the F1 W06 Hybrid.
- Heavy rain prevented running for the majority of the day in Spielberg, with red flags prevailing between 09:30 and 14:00
- Pascal eventually emerged for his first run shortly after 15:00, completing a total of 67 laps before the extended session came to a close at 20:00
- Today’s programme focused on data and vibration logging tests, in addition to Power Unit and Control Systems analysis
- Pascal experienced a near-complete spectrum of tyres and conditions today, running extreme wet, intermediate and supersoft tyres
- Mercedes-Benz Power Units today completed a total of 982km
It was a very mixed day! Unfortunately the weather meant that we couldn’t do our full schedule. In fact, we didn’t get any running at all this morning and only managed three runs on dry tyres in the afternoon. But there were definitely some positives at the end. I got to try the slicks, intermediates and wets, so it was good from my perspective to be able to compare the tyres and get some experience in all conditions – even if it wasn’t ideal for the test programme. I can’t really say if the car has improved since Barcelona as the conditions were very different and this is a very different track also. You could see even in the dry over the race weekend that a lot of drivers were struggling for grip and in the wet it’s extremely slippery – unusually so, I would say. The grip is very low and it’s very easy to lock up or run wide at some corners. It’s a shame that I didn’t get so much track time to build my experience – but it was great to be back in a Formula One car again and I’m looking forward to hopefully a smoother day tomorrow with Force India.
|1||Pascal Wehrlein||MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS||1:11.005||67|
|2||Esteban Ocon||Force India||1:11.192||76|
|3||Max Verstappen||Toro Rosso||1:11.328||97|
|6||Pierre Gasley||Red Bull||1:11.757||80|