Nico Rosberg continued the MERCEDES GP PETRONAS team's pre-season programme at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona today on the third day of this week's test.
The track was damp for much of the morning following overnight rain, and Nico's programme was restricted to several exploratory runs to gain experience of the Pirelli intermediate tyre. Conditions improved for the start of the afternoon session, allowing the team and Nico to complete a very constructive programme. Nico continued his familiarisation with the KERS system in conjunction with set-up comparisons over longer runs to further develop the team's understanding of car and tyre behaviour. His
day concluded with qualifying simulations, including operation of KERS and the adjustable rear wing.
Nico completed 92 laps today, bringing his total lap count for this test to 223 laps. This equates to more than 1030 kms and demonstrates an encouraging step forward in reliability from earlier tests this winter.
Michael Schumacher will complete the fourth and final day of testing tomorrow.
Nico Rosberg: "It was interesting running with the intermediates this morning and, although the warm-up is tricky, we definitely improved our understanding of the tyres. Our long runs this afternoon included some aero work in preparation for our next upgrade package before going into lower-fuel, new-tyre running at the end of the day. We made good progress in understanding the car and the tyres, and the reliability was solid once again. Overall, I've enjoyed two positive and productive days here in Barcelona."
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Nico Rosberg MERCEDES GP PETRONAS 1:23.168 92
2. Vitaly Petrov Lotus Renault 1:23.463 93
3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren 1:23.858 93
4. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:24.815 60
5. Mark Webber Red Bull 1:24.995 138
6. Jarno Trulli Team Lotus 1:25.454 48
7. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:25.557 115
8. Adrian Sutil Force India 1:26.720 102
9. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso 1:26.155 31
10. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:26.508 123
11. Timo Glock Marussia Virgin 1:26.598 97
12. Giorgio Mondini HRT 1:28.178 39
13. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1:28.329 42
14. Narain Karthikeyan HRT 1:30.722 42
(Please note all timings are unofficial and correct as of 17:00hrs CET)