Michael Schumacher took over the MGP W02 car in Jerez today for the second day of this week’s test programme.
Running with the Mercedes KERS operational throughout the day to continue Michael’s familiarisation process, the team focused on system checks with shorter runs in the early part of the day, before progressing to set-up work and tyre evaluations with the medium and super soft Pirelli tyre compounds over longer runs.
With good reliability and mileage accumulation, Michael and the team had a productive day covering 112 laps. Michael will continue the programme tomorrow with Nico taking over on Sunday.
Michael Schumacher: “It clearly was a productive day, and obviously I am happy about that. We were focusing on long runs and being able to produce such a lot of mileage is positive in terms of reliability. It also gives us good data for the test days to come and for the developments we are working on. We are moving forward as we should during the testing period but at the same time, we are aware we have to keep pushing.”
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Michael Schumacher MERCEDES GP PETRONAS 1:20.352 112
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:20.413 116
3. Jenson Button McLaren 1:21.009 69
4. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1:21.214 72
5. Mark Webber Red Bull 1:21.613 113
6. Adrian Sutil Force India 1:21.780 73
7. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:21.857 56
8. Timo Glock Marussia Virgin 1:22.208 57
9. Vitaly Petrov Lotus Renault 1:22.493 65
10. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:22.591 37
11. Jarno Trulli Team Lotus 1:23.216 40
(Please note all timings are unofficial and correct as of 17:00hrs CET)