The final day of the Young Driver Test in Magny Cours today saw Brendon Hartley, one of our simulator drivers, have his first chance to drive the team’s Formula One car on track.
- Wet conditions this morning meant the Pirelli intermediate and wet tyres were required for the first time this week
- The team took an early lunch and were then able to use the hard compound tyre for set-up work over longer runs
- Brendon completed a total of 87 laps and 384 km today
Over the three days, the team completed a total of 1354 km and successfully completed the planned programme.
It was an amazing feeling to be back driving a Formula One car today, and I would like to thank the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS team for giving me this opportunity. The track was quite wet this morning so we lost some time but once it had dried out, we were able to get on with the test programme, using mainly the hard tyre. It was a successful day for both me and the team, and we completed the programme, despite the weather.
I’m happy with my performance and pleased that it only took a couple of runs before I was on the pace as it’s been three years since I last drove a Formula One car. I’m very grateful for the experience and really enjoyed working with the team today.
Today sees the conclusion of a successful three day test for the team in Magny Cours with our young drivers Sam Bird and Brendon Hartley. This was an important test, allowing both drivers some important track time in a Formula One car, and enabling us to continue our development programme with the evaluation of our new upgrades.
Both Sam and Brendon have driven very well, providing good and consistent feedback, and I would like to thank them for their efforts and diligence over the last three days. We now have a wealth of data from the test to study back at the factory over the next few days and in advance of the forthcoming race in Singapore.
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Jules Bianchi Ferrari 1:16.985 138
2. Rodolfo Gonzalez Sahara Force India 1:18.018 79
3. Brendon Hartley MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS 1:18.671 87