Nico Rosberg was back at the wheel of the new Silver Arrow today as the first pre-season test continues in Valencia.
Running with the Mercedes KERS system operational for the first time, Nico had a productive day, completing 69 laps as he conducted the team’s programme of systems and reliability checks with the new car.
Michael Schumacher will take over for the third and final day of the test tomorrow.
Nico Rosberg: “It was an interesting day and important that we completed a lot of laps. We ran with part of the KERS system for the first time, so much of the focus was on learning how to handle the system. It is challenging but just a matter of getting used to the buttons and how the car feels under braking out on track. Today’s running confirmed my initial good feelings about the car. We had a few issues which is normal with a new car but fixed them quickly.”
Ross Brawn: “Today was important for us to get some good mileage on the car and I’m pleased with what we have been able to achieve. It has been a learning experience for us all to use KERS for the first time and inevitably we faced some teething problems with the system which should be ironed out quickly enough with further testing. A more positive day in terms of reliability and we completed a number of the key system checks with the new car.”
TIMES (All timings are unofficial)
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:13.307 108
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1:13.614 43
3. Paul Di Resta Force India 1:13.844 111
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren 1:14.353 83
5. Robert Kubica Lotus Renault 1:14.412 104
6. Nico Rosberg MERCEDES GP PETRONAS 1:14.645 69
7. Timo Glock Marussia Virgin 1:15.408 34
8. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1:16.023 50
9. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:16.198 42
10. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:16.266 29
11. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso 1:16.359 46
12. Mark Webber Red Bull 1:16.474 64
13. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1:17.365 17
14. Narain Karthikeyan HRT 1:17.769 80
15. Heikki Kovalainen Team Lotus 1:20.649 15