There is an inextricable link between Great Britain and Formula One racing. Not only is the British Grand Prix the oldest race on the calendar, but seven of the championship’s 10 teams are based there. Amongst these is the Brackley base of Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team which, along with Brixworth-based Mercedes AMG HPP, lays just a few miles away. Thus, the British Grand Prix forms one of three home races for the squad alongside Germany and Malaysia.
Silverstone started life as an aerodrome. When the Second World War ended in 1945, Donington Park and the legendary Brooklands had fallen into disrepair and so Silverstone was adopted by the Royal Automobile Club as the home for the British Grand Prix in 1948.
When the Formula One World Championship was created in 1950, Silverstone held the very first round. Then, in 1951, the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) was handed the lease by the RAC and significant modifications were made.
From 1955 the British Grand Prix swapped venues between Aintree and Silverstone, but in the early 1960s, Aintree fell out of favour and the race alternated between Silverstone and Brands Hatch. In 1971 the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) bought the entire 720-acre plot on which Silverstone sits and went about redeveloping the track. Further changes to the layout and facilities arrived in 1987, from which time the circuit has remained as the sole host of the British Grand Prix. In 2010 a new infield loop debuted and this was followed one year later by the new ‘Wing’ pit complex.