-Lewis and Valtteri lined up first and third on the grid, both starting on the SuperSoft compound tyre.
- Lewis made good use of his pole position at the start to retain the lead, while Valtteri overtook Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel to move up into second place. Later on, however, he had to cede the position to Red Bull's Max Verstappen.
- Valtteri was the first of the two Mercedes drivers to pit, coming in on Lap 18, with Lewis following one lap later. Both switched to the Pirelli Medium tyres.
- After all the front-runners had completed their stop, Lewis was back in the lead ahead of Verstappen.But, on lap 39, the Dutchman used his fresher tyres to good effect, passing Lewis to take back the lead.
- Following a collision between Verstappen and Esteban Ocon, Lewisreturned to the front of the field and held onto it through to the finish.
- Valtteri completed his second stop on Lap 59, switching to Softs.
- Lewis registered his tenth win of the season, his second at Interlagos and his 72nd in Formula 1. It was his 50th victory out of 99 races so far contested in the Hybrid Power Unit era.
- Valtteri's points for fifth place added to Lewis's maximum points for the race win were enough to secure the Constructors' Championship for the fifth time in a row.