- Valtteri and Lewis lined up P1 and P2 on the grid, both on the UltraSoft tyre compound.
- Off the line, Valtteri had a strong start to maintain position on the long run to Turn 2, while Lewis fended off a challenge from Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari to keep P2.
- The top three remained in close proximity before Valtteri pitted from the lead on lap 12 for Soft tyres, with Lewis following him in two laps later for the same compound.
- Lewis emerged behind Vettel's Ferrari, but took the place back a few laps later with a move up the inside at Turn 4.
- With Lewis suffering from blistering and Vettel closing in, the team decided to swap Valtteri and Lewis around, in order to maximise points for the Championships.
- Max Verstappen went for a long first stint on Softs and took over the lead, before pitting on lap 43. Lewis claimed back the lead, with Valtteri close behind.
- Lewis crossed the line to claim his 70th F1 win, with Valtteri finishing runner-up to give the team a 1-2 finish.