- Lewis started the 58-lap race on the UltraSoft tyre, switching to the Soft compound on lap 19. Valtteri also lined up on the UltraSofts, moving to SuperSofts on lap 25.
- Leading away from pole position, Lewis opened up a comfortable lead over Ferrari's Kimi Räikkönen and had an advantage of over three seconds when he boxed for fresh tyres.
- The Virtual Safety Car was deployed just prior to the half-way mark to clear Romain Grosjean's stranded Haas, with the new Mercedes-AMG GT R Safety Car emerging two laps later.
- Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel took over at the front and dived into the pits during the VSC, taking advantage of the slower pace on track to jump both Lewis and Kimi.
- Lewis pushed hard, but with overtaking being tricky in Melbourne and his rear tyres starting to go off, he was forced to settle for second - the 118th podium of his career and eighth at Albert Park.
- Valtteri lined up 15th after his Qualifying crash and gearbox penalty but made steady progress early on, before making up further ground with his VSC pit stop.
- He continued to steadily pick up places, but started to struggle with overheating in the closing stages and crossed the line in eighth place to nab his 66th points finish in F1.
- Lewis and Valtteri leave Melbourne P2 and P8 in the Drivers' Championship, with the team P2 in the Constructors' standings.