- Lewis and Valtteri lined up first and second on the grid, on the UltraSoft tyre, and led the way into the first corner.
- The Safety Car was deployed on the opening lap after an incident between Romain Grosjean and Nico Hulkenberg.
- Shortly after the restart, Kimi Raikkonen's stranded Ferrari promoted the Virtual Safety Car to appear and the team opted to stop Lewis on lap eight for SuperSofts.
- Valtteri took over the lead, before pitting on lap 16 for SuperSofts. This moved the yet-to-stop Daniel Ricciardo to the front of the pack.
- When Daniel stopped on lap 33, Lewis returned to the lead and controlled the remainder of the race.
- Valtteri struggled in the closing stages and slipped down the order, before putting for a second time on lap 41 for UltraSofts.
- Lewis crossed the line to secure his 73rd victory and fourth win at the Yas Marina Circuit, while Valtteri finished P5.