- Lewis and Valtteri lined up P2 and P3 on the grid in Baku, both starting on SuperSoft tyres. They held their positions on the opening lap, behind Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari.
- The Safety Car was deployed on the first lap after numerous incidents, before racing resumed on lap five.
- With the gap ebbing and flowing between the two leaders, Lewis dived into the pits on lap 22 for a fresh set of Softs. Sebastian stayed out until lap 30, with Valtteri taking over the lead.
- The Safety Car returned on lap 39 after the two Red Bulls collided. Valtteri took the opportunity to pit for UltraSofts, as did Sebastian and Lewis.
- The race got back underway on lap 47, with Sebastian trying a late lunge on Valtteri at Turn 1. However, the Ferrari locked up and ran wide, with Lewis moving ahead and into second place.
- The Brit then took the lead with just three laps to go after Valtteri suffered a heart-breaking right-rear puncture, caused by debris on the main straight.
- Lewis stormed clear of Ferrari's Kimi Räikkönen, taking the chequered flag 2.4 seconds ahead to secure a stunning victory in Baku - the 63rd win of his F1 career.
- After Azerbaijan, Lewis now leads the Drivers' Championship by four points over Sebastian, with Valtteri slipping to P4. The team trails Ferrari in the Constructors' standings by four points.