- Conditions were cooler in Monaco compared to the previous few days, with overcast, cloudy conditions and a few drops of rain falling in the build-up to the race.
- Lewis lined up P3 on the grid, behind Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel. Valtteri started one row further back in P5.
- The top five retained their positions off the line. Lewis kept with the top two before diving into the pits for a set of UltraSoft tyres on lap 12. Valtteri switched to SuperSofts on lap 17.
- Having dropped back slightly at the start of the second stint, Lewis began to close in on the leaders - as Ricciardo battled through an engine issue.
- Valtteri lost touch with the top four but started making progress, closing in on Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen mid-way through the race.
- The gap between the frontrunners was around five seconds with 20 laps remaining, although the top four were struggling on their UltraSoft tyres.
- Lewis was unable to keep tabs on the leaders, finishing in P3 - behind winner Ricciardo and runner-up Vettel. It's his 122nd podium in F1. Valtteri crossed the line in P5.
- Mercedes (178) departs Monaco with a 22-point lead over Ferrari (156) in the Constructors' title. Lewis (110) leads the Drivers' by 14 points over Vettel, with Valtteri in P4 (68).