- Dark clouds loomed in the distance but the rain stayed away, with warmer temperatures and a decrease in wind speed compared to Saturday's conditions.
- Lewis and Valtteri lined up first and second on the grid, both on Soft tyres, with the Ferrari and Red Bull cars line astern behind.
- A great launch from the line secured Lewis the lead into Turn 1, with Valtteri dropping to P3 - before the Safety Car was deployed for a three-car accident at Turn 3.
- On the restart, Lewis established a commanding lead, with Valtteri chasing Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari - the gap ebbing and flowing over the laps that followed.
- Valtteri pitted on lap 20, two laps after Vettel, for fresh Medium tyres and emerged still behind the Ferrari driver. Lewis stayed out until lap 26 before diving in for Mediums.
- Lewis powered to a comfortable advantage, while Valtteri moved ahead of Vettel during the Virtual Safety Car phase when the Ferrari driver opted to pit for new tyres.
- In clean air, Valtteri was able to manage his old Medium tyres to the end and maintain the gap to those behind.
- Lewis powered across the line to pick up his 64th F1 victory and third win at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, extending his Championship lead to 17 points over Vettel.
- P2 in Spain was Valtteri's 25th F1 podium and gave the team a 1-2 finish. The Finn moves up to third in the Drivers' standings.