- Valtteri and Lewis lined up on the front row of the grid at the Red Bull Ring, starting the race on the SuperSoft tyre compound.
- Lewis stormed into the lead off the start, while Valtteri dropped to fourth, only to sweep around the outside of both Max Verstappen and Kimi Raikkonen at Turn 4.
- Valtteri was running just behind Lewis when, on lap 14, he pulled off track with a loss of hydraulic pressure and retired from the race.
- The Virtual Safety Car was deployed to clear Valtteri's car, with Lewis remaining out on track while his closest rivals pitted for fresh tyres.
- Lewis stayed out until lap 25 before going onto the Soft tyre, emerging in P4. He later pitted for SuperSofts on lap 52.
- Just nine laps later, Lewis was forced to exit the race after a loss of fuel pressure, ending his 33-race run of consecutive points finishes - the longest in F1 history.
- Lewis (145 points) and Valtteri (92 points) head to Silverstone P2 and P6 in the Drivers' Championship. The team (237 points) is second in the Constructors'.