- Valtteri lined up at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on the front row, in P2, with Lewis directly behind him in P4.
- Both drivers started the race on the UltraSoft tyre, before moving onto the SuperSoft tyre for their second stints.
- Off the line, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel held the lead, while Valtteri fended off a feisty challenge from Red Bull's Max Verstappen to retain P2.
- Lewis remained P4 before the Safety Car was deployed for an incident at Turn 6 between Brendon Hartley and Lance Stroll. The Mercedes-AMG GT R remained on track until the end of lap 4.
- Having dropped back slightly from the leading trio, Lewis was the first frontrunner to pit, diving into the box on lap 17. Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo stayed out an extra lap and demoted him to P5.
- The gap between Vettel and Valtteri ebbed and flowed during the opening stint, before Valtteri pitted on lap 37.
- He fought hard and closed in towards the end, only to lose ground with a mistake at Turn 2. Meanwhile, Lewis cut the advantage to Ricciardo in the fight for fourth.
- Valtteri crossed the line in second place to score his fourth podium of 2018, with Lewis coming home in fifth place.